Re: ORA-01459:Invalid length for variable character string - please HELP!

From: Russ Eberle <russ.eberle_at_born.com>
Date: 1996/06/30

>phil_at_ccc.govt.nz wrote:

>>We have a Delphi C/S application running under W4W3.11 using Oracle
>>7.1 on NT3.51 as a back end. Users who log onto the application run
>>quite happily for a variable length of time (normally 10-30 mins)
>>and then receive the following error "General SQL error.
>>ORA-01459:invalid length for variable character string". The error
>>occurs during a SQL query to the database and necessitates the user
>>exiting the application (sometimes out of windows altogether) and then
>>re-entering it again. Where the error occurs is not consistent
>>(perhaps indicating a resource problem). The Oracle documentation
>>is not much help, saying that no action can be taken to correct the
>>problem.

I've run into this before in Pro*C when using VARCHAR host variables which in C are a structure: arr representing the character string and len which was the len of the string. If the len got corrupted and was too large or negative this error would occur.

Russ Received on Sun Jun 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message