sqlnet with multiple interfaces per host

From: David J DeWolfe <sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu>
Date: 1996/06/30

Greetings all;

I've been running sqlnet 2.1.4 for a few years now providing client<->host and host<->host sqlnet connectivity for several 7.1.4 databases residing on 3 different Dec Alpha's running Digital Unix 3.2d. Recently we've added an fddi interface to the picture. One of our intended uses of this interface is our automated snapshots from our production DB to our data warehouse DB. I have reconfigured sqlnet to reference the "new" host names, which resolve to the ip address which is the fddi interface. I have also changed the host name on the mts_listener_address in all my init.ora's to reference the fddi ip address. Our network folks have this setup so that the fddi interface is in a different subnet that the original ethernet interface. It did not appear that snapshots etc were utilizing the fddi interface although they were completing successfully, and today (Sunday) I came in and physically unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of the machine on which my production database resides. All except one of the remote queries I tried timed out on the communication channel (ORA-03113), however, one query was successful, and data was returned. I have turned tracing on for the listeners and names servers, and from what I can interpret of the trace files, things look good. The listener is listing on the ip address of the fddi interface, the oracle names server is returning connect data for remote DB's referencing the fddi host name and correct port # etc etc. Anyway, i'm kind of at a loss here. I'm going to talk to our network folks tomorrow to make sure I understand the routing we're doing on the hosts etc, but I thought I would ask here to see if anyone out there has done this kind of sqlnet configuration.

many thanks in advance...

David J. DeWolfe
Systems Programmer III
Statewide Office of Information Services University of Alaska
907.474.7399
sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu

In a vicious struggle for survival intelligence emerges as the weapon of  choice. - Nova, In Search of Human Origins Received on Sun Jun 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message