Database backup to ADSM (or other data/media management software)

From: John Groves <jmg_at_openmic.com>
Date: 1996/06/29

We are seeking feedback on applications for a software solution we developed for a specific customer. We think that there may be other customers with the same need. We also think there are other applications for a similar solution.

Our solution allows the Informix database engine on an AIX system to backup its databases to ADSM. This was done by creating a pseudo tape driver which passes the data to a daemon which exchanges data with ADSM via the ADSM API. Backed up database tables become data objects managed by ADSM. The pseudo tape driver was necessary because Informix knows how to back its tables up to a tape drive (and not to some arbitrary API). Although this solution was developed to allow ADSM and Informix to communicate, variations could be developed for data interchange between other software systems. We are interested in hearing more about applications that might benefit from this type of connectivity.

John Groves
jmg_at_openmic.com
http://www.openmic.com Received on Sat Jun 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message