Re: Analyzing Schema's--->"SYS", DANGER!!!!!!

From: Brian P. Mac Lean <brian.maclean_at_teldta.com>
Date: 1996/06/28

Vijay Vardhineni 604-1835 wrote:

> Hi Oracle Guru's
>
> I tried to use DBMS_UTILITY.ANALYZE_SCHEMA procedure to
> analyze
> 'SYS' schema for computing statistics. I issued the following
> statement from Server Manager (Connected as Internal)
>
> EXECUTE DBMS_UTILITY.ANALYZE_SCHEMA('SYS', 'COMPUTE');
> and I received the following error messages
>
> ORA - 20000 You have insufficient privileges for an object in
> this schema
> ORA - 6512 at "SYS.DBMS_UTILITY:, line 223
> ORA - 6512 at Line 2.
>
> Can you please tell me what should I do to execute the above
> statement. I am able to analyze the other schemas using the
> above procedure.
>
> Thanks
> vijay vardhineni

For whatever it’s worth, I have been through several Oracle classes (provided by Oracle) and they have said to never analyze the system tablespace tables (sys user). This may have changed but in my opinion your playing with fire here. The Oracle kernel has been tuned to work with these tables in a manor that analyze may corrupt. Also, I have had problems with locks analyzing tables during periods of high activity with several versions of Oracle. If your doing this at the wrong time, well, I wouldn’t want to be around.

I would be interested in reading why you want to do this. If others have opinions, dogma, or references, bring it on.

brian.maclean_at_teldta.com Received on Fri Jun 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message