Re: KILLED sessions in Oracle 7.2

From: Eddy Setiawan <setiawan_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: 1996/06/28

I have this problem too. I think this is a bug in 7.2.2 for Solaris. The KILLED session will only gone from v$session table if you shutdown the database. Good for me that we have cold backup running every night, which will clean up all these KILLLED sessions.

What I did was, telling all my users not to abortly reboot their PC. If they do that, they will have to call me and I will change their account to use other profile which allow more than one session. During the night, there will be a job run to change back the all users to use default profile that is limited to one session only.

After a while, my users learn the "cost" of re-booting their PC without logout from Oracle and they do that less often now. And I receive less calls too. But initially, might be quite busy.

--
Eddy Setiawan, Database Administrator
email:setiawan_at_singnet.com.sg

> Mark Johnson <mwc.mjohnson_at_capital.ge.com> wrote in article
<31D2BEB0.595A_at_capital.ge.com>...
> I need to restrict a user from connecting to the database more
> than once, so I have put it in the profile to keep them from
> doing this. But if they lock their pc up (win 95 :) the session
> hangs and I have to kill it using the alter system kill user
> command.
>
> The problem is that this leaves a session with the status of
> "KILLED" in the system and it will not let them log back on due
> to the profile.

[snip]