Re: Converting datafiles from VMS to UNIX....

From: Ted Goulden <gouldent_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/06/28

        I did something similar to this about 7 years ago, with very few problems (I have to admit some of the details escape me). Essentially, the advantage of using ORACLE is that it is platform/operating system independent. The data itself is stored in an ORACLE defined fashion and does not store it in native operating system fashion. This means you don't have to be concerned with big-endian and little-endian or floating point representation or any of the other details involved when porting binary (non-ASCII) data from one machine to another.

        An export file created on the VAX containing table definitions, indexes, etc. can be transferred to the HP via ftp and loaded into an empty database and in a matter of hours you will have 2 identical databases. The only "trick" is that binary transfer mode must be used in ftp. If you need to do this via tape, you will need some sort of program to create a tar file format. I haven't actually done this, but I know people who have.

        Hope this answers your question.

                                                Ted Goulden