Re: Hot backups on Digital Alpha

From: Eddy Lootens <lootens_at_luc.ac.be>
Date: 1996/06/27

In article <4qu995$8c0$1_at_mhafn.production.compuserve.com> Dennis Williams, 104052.3374_at_CompuServe.COM writes:
>We are a Digital Alpha ( Digital Unix 3.2C) shop running a

     Hello,

           Your problem could be solved using AdvFS. I think you will also need the AdvFS tools. If you use AdvFS on the disk(s) your database is running on, you can make a "snapshot" or clone of a filegroup (more or less the equivalent of a UFS file system). Then you backup the cloned filegroup and remove it. Making this clone goes very fast and does not take a lot of space, roughly only the difference between the clone and the original is needed as diskspace.

     The main disadvantage of this solution is that the performance of your database
may go down considerably when making the backup.

            I hope this helps you. Received on Thu Jun 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message