Re: What SQL?

From: Ken Johnson <ken.johnson_at_mail.tapestry.com>
Date: 1996/06/27

Larry wrote:

> I just had an interview at a shop where they are using VB 4.0 to access an oracle
> database.
> The local University only has a class that teaches SQL as it applies to using
> Developer 2000 to access an oracle database, Nothing about VB.
>
> How would one learn SQL to be used to access an oracle database from VB 4.0?
>
> Also, since Oracle databases have 60% of the client server market, and
> they have Developer 2000, Is VB become obsolete in the Client Server arena?
>
> I would hate to have to learn Developer 2000, after having spent so much time
> learning VB.
>
> Thanks
>
> Larry

As far a SQL is concerned, it's the same regardless of whether it comes to Oracle from Forms, SQL*Plus, or VB. The only difference would be in how you send the SQL to the database. VB uses ODBC to do this, but I can't help you with the details on how. I recommend you pick up a VB book on database connectivity (I doubt it needs to be Oracle-specific [but that would be better if you can find one])

I doubt that Oracle has anywhere near the market-share on the client-side as they do on the server-side. There are a lot of people out there accessing an Oracle database using VB, PowerBuilder, MS-Access, etc. If you want to go 100% Oracle, you might try Oracle PowerObjects.  It would be probably be an easier transisition from VB to OPO than it would be to Forms.

VB has a lot of marketshare in non-database applications as well, so it will probably be around for a while.

Ken Johnson -  Senior Technical Consultant
Tapestry Computing, Inc. http://www.tapestry.com