Re: Oracle 7 on Windows NT

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: 1996/06/27

toddh_at_morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Todd Hickey) wrote:

>We are in the process of moving our Oracle7 Server from
>Netware to Windows NT. Our environment includes a remote
>database running Oracle v6 and SQL*Net v1.1, which we
>have no control over as far as upgrades are concerned. The
>folks at Oracle tell us that in order for our NT server to
>maintain connectivity to the remote v6 database, we have to
>run v7.2 on our NT box, since v7.3 (the latest) does not
>support SQL*Net v1.

>We're really not ecstatic about not being able to use
>Oracle7.3, but such is life. Our concern is if we encounter any
>bugs in v7.2, we cannot move to v7.3 because we will lose
>that very important connectivity to the remote v6 database.

>We were wondering if anyone out there is running v7.2 on
>NT, and if so is there any _gotchas_ we should be concerned
>about?

>How stable is it?

>If needed, could we possibly run two versions of Oracle7
>(v7.2 and v7.3) on the NT box?

>We anticipate a database in the range of 8-10 GB. Our NT box
>will be a 486 DX2/66 w/ 32MB RAM. Is anyone out there running
>a DB of this size on NT on an Intel box?

>Any responses to the preceding questions would be greatly
>appreciated.

>Thanks,
>Todd.

>toddh_at_neweast.ca

We have been using 7.2 on NT3.51 for about 4 months. Make sure you install MS' Service Pack 3 on the server.

As far as stability, 7.3 seems to be much more integrated with the OS than 7.2 was. The Oralce processes run as an actual NT service, so you can start and stop them through Control Panel. You can also have Oracle start the database whenever NT boots (although there is no way to have the database shutdown automaticly).

--
Mark Wagoner
mwagoner_at_iac.net