Re: Problem Installing 7.3 under HP/UX

From: Jerry Wolfe <wolfe001_at_mail.genmills.com>
Date: 1996/06/26

In article <4qnqdo$70k_at_mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>, fellague_at_worldnet.att.net says...
<
<"Brian M. Biggs" <bbiggs_at_cincom.com> wrote:
<<Ed Eden wrote:
<<<
<<< did you use make_link, which maps the way the cd is read on the hp
<<< system
<<< (upper case, short names) to what the install software expects
<<< (lowercase etc...)
<<<
<<< or if you have hpux 10.10 you can now mount a cd and the lowercase
long
<<< names
<<< will be there.
<<
<<That's interesting -- is this a feature strictly of HP-UX 10.10?
<
<Nah, I just built the links before I took off this evening on a 10.10
<system. Had to do it, since the mounted CD-ROM had all uppercase file
<names. But this makes me wonder - is there any special option for
<mounting the CD-ROM that would do this case conversion? I checked the
<man pages but didn't see anything, at least not on the mount(1m) command.
<A mount option with the -o flag (for FS specific options) perhaps? If
<so, it might be available with 10.01 as well.
<
<Maybe Mr. Eden could fill us in on this if he knows what's going on . . .
<

There is a known error in the Installation Manual for 7.3.2 on HP-UX. It is problem ID 1017951.6, documentation bug #366394 and Oracle has a solution that they will FAX to you. Basically what it says is that installation fails when you run ./orainst from the CD-ROM because the installer complains about not finding files because the CD-ROm media shows all files in uppercase and the installer is looking for lowercase files. The solution is as follows:

  1. Logged on as 'oracle', create a directory called oracle_link.
  2. Change directory onto the CD-ROM ORAINST directory.
  3. Execute the START.SH script -- ./START.SH This step will create all the links to the CD-ROM in the oracle_link directory.
  4. Change directory to the .../oracle_link/orainst directory.
  5. Execute orainst -- ./orainst

Hope this helps.

Jerry Wolfe
General Mills, Inc.
phone: (612) 540-7257
fax: (612) 540-2420
email: wolfe001_at_mail.genmills.com Received on Wed Jun 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message