Re: RDB to Oracle Conversion

From: John Mihalik <mihalik_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/06/26

Yo,

I have a similar situation at my current employer. You can definitely install more than one Oracle7 instance on one machine, the SIDs would have to be different though. But I would recamend converting the 6 Rdb databases into one Oracle7 database. Remember the fundemental difference between Rdb and Oracle7 is that one Rdb database is basicly one schema(it could be more if you've used the Rdb multi-schema option). However in Oracle you often have alot of accounts or schemas for one database and each schema can own hundreds of tables. You could convert each Rdb database into a separate schema, or more than one schema if you've used the Rdb multi-schema option. This would save you the aggravation of maintaining 6 separate Oracle7 databases. And you could connect to that one database and have access to all of the data across different schemas.

If you did create 6 separate Oracle7 databases you would need to create DATABASE LINKS to the other databases. That could get ugly quick. You would need these links because in the Oracle tools you can only have one database connection open at a time.

John Mihalik
mihalik_at_ix.netcom.com