Re: Problem Installing 7.3 under HP/UX

From: David-Michael Lincke <dlincke_at_bandon.unisg.ch>
Date: 1996/06/25

Leif Fellague (fellague_at_worldnet.att.net) wrote:
: "Brian M. Biggs" <bbiggs_at_cincom.com> wrote:
: >Ed Eden wrote:
: >>
: >> did you use make_link, which maps the way the cd is read on the hp
: >> system
: >> (upper case, short names) to what the install software expects
: >> (lowercase etc...)
: >>
: >> or if you have hpux 10.10 you can now mount a cd and the lowercase long
: >> names
: >> will be there.
: >
: >That's interesting -- is this a feature strictly of HP-UX 10.10?
:
: Nah, I just built the links before I took off this evening on a 10.10
: system. Had to do it, since the mounted CD-ROM had all uppercase file
: names. But this makes me wonder - is there any special option for
: mounting the CD-ROM that would do this case conversion? I checked the
: man pages but didn't see anything, at least not on the mount(1m) command.
: A mount option with the -o flag (for FS specific options) perhaps? If
: so, it might be available with 10.01 as well.
:
: Maybe Mr. Eden could fill us in on this if he knows what's going on . . .
:

There is two kernel variables which can be set through adb which will strip the trailing version number and convert filesnames to lowercase, respectively. There were patches for 9.0x and 10.01 which provided those features. I haven't seen any for 10.10, so it's probably already built in there. Note, though, that this won't give you real rockridge semantics. The only way to get those on HP-UX is by using PFS. Should be on the latest application CD-ROM and is also available from some hp ftp server.

dave

--
David-Michael Lincke
Research Assistant