Re: Differences between the Microsoft and the Oracle SQL server

From: ray charbonneau <raycharb_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1996/06/25

richu_at_interaccess.com wrote:

>Yes, fortunately consultants are biased. So i'll give you the rut-tootem
>from the ORACLE side. ORACLE is more difficult to learn, fora reason, it
>offers ALOT more features than many of the other RDBMS out thar. Row-level
>locking may make the DBS slower but your other alternative is page-level..
>now think about when you've got a large number of users querying same tables,
>you trying to say page-locking is going to allow these people to access at the
>same time..NO, therefore it will be faster under heavy traffic.
>If you are going to invest a ton of money on a SOLID DBMS backed by THE largest
>and biggest and baddest database vendor out there..go with ORACLE (40%) of the
>market share...closest competitor is INFORMIX(20%)..wheres SYBASE? (15%)..
>Now given this? Wheres SQL Server? ORACLE also runs on many of not all OS and
>platforms and is rather scalable.
>Bottom LINE: At the enterprise level, Oracle is tough to beat

I have many concerns when considering Oracle. I do agree that from an enterprise stanpoint (especially if you are doing transactions over multiple databases), Oracle may be the way to go. But, there is a steep price to pay. First, you have to deal with Oracle. Second, the product is more difficult to learn. Third, the SQL capabilities in Oracle stored procedures are somewhat limited. Last time I looked, you could not create temporaray tables in a stored procedure. You also could not join tables on Updates & Deletes. Also, Oracle's query optimizer is still not up to speed with Sybase and Microsoft.

Regarding the row level locking issue, I have done system with hundreds of simulatneous users with page level locking and did not have any problems.

Also, if you are doing database replication, Sybase's replication server is light-years ahead of Oracle. I actually know companies that are strickly Oracle shops who use Sybase's replication server with their Oracle databases.

Because Sybase and Microsoft do not advertise their products in the same manner as Oracle, these differences are seldom mentioned.

have fun
ray charb. Received on Tue Jun 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message