Re: Differences between the Microsoft and the Oracle SQL server

From: Barry F. Smith [Bazzoo(c)] <"Barry>
Date: 1996/06/25

Chris Brown wrote:

> richu_at_interaccess.com wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >Row-level locking may make the DBS slower but your other alternative is
> >page-level..

Depends upon how row level locking is implemented, Oracle Rdb(aka DEC Rdb) has always had a good scheme. Row level locking is fully implemented, but lcoks are not taken out until required, i.e. if you are the only one on the table then you only use table level locking. If someone joins you then the looks are moved towards the records, but not directly to the records. This is called ALG (adjustable lock granuality).

MS SQL Server looks like it is going to adopt this stratergy in the next release.

> I'm not sure about this... If we're talking about raw speed and TPC results
> comparing Oracle73 to SQL-Server 6.5 on NT 3.51, then Oracle comes up highest
> in the benchmarks. Oracle's had RLL for years, and still owns the highest-ever
> recorded tpm/c benchmark in the industry!

BTW what was this figure? Received on Tue Jun 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message