Re: ODBC RDO Informix Calls

From: Nils Myklebust <Nils.Myklebust_at_ccmail.telemax.no>
Date: 1996/06/24

Ron Denham <rdenham_at_mail.cyberview.net> wrote:

>I'm researching using Microsoft Remote Data Object
>calls from within VB 4.0 to Informix. Currently we
>are using ODBC DLL calls via a 16 bit SQL Link middleware
>package.

>I know RDO requires 32 VB and is optimized for SQL Server
>and for Oracle 7.x databases. I've also heard that
>it is not optimized for Informix and I have the impression
>that it will not work. Will I have to use SQL Server or Oracle?

>Could someone reply and give me the facts on whether
>RDO calls against Informix is do-able using 32 bit SQL Link?

RDO is nothing but a wrapper around ODBC making it simpler to use so there is no reason why it shouldn't work with any 32 bit ODBC driver.
I don't think it's optimised for any spesific database. It's optimised for any server based database (RDO - Remote Database Objects).
So no, you will not have to use SQL Server or Oracle, but should continue to use Informix.

There is also no reason why you can't continue to use direct calls to ODBC. You may have to change some parameters and return types going to 32 bit, but direct calls are still faster than RDO according to tests reported in Visual Basic Programers Journal (one or two issues ago). You may also mix RDO and direct calls to ODBC to some extent.
The above is based on my readings, we will start testing this in a week or two.

Nils.Myklebust_at_ccmail.telemax.no
NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway My opinions are those of my company Received on Mon Jun 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message