Mutating Table, Trigger Problem...Need Help!!

From: Chakravarthy Nalamotu <kittu_at_gis.eng.hawaii.edu>
Date: 1996/06/24

Hi Oracle Users,
I am getting this ORA 04091 when I run my trigger.

I have these two tables 'PARENT' and 'CHILD'. There is a referential integrity constraint on the 'CHILD' table accessing the 'PARENT' table.

I have a very simple after insert trigger on the
'PARENT' table, which inserts a new record
in the 'CHILD' table.

This is giving an error:
ORA-04091: table OWNER.PARENT is mutating,

           trigger/function may not see it

Is the 'PARENT' table's primary key getting locked, and the 'CHILD' table unable to perform the referential integrity check resulting
in an error?

If so, is there a way around? I would also like to add that the tables 'PARENT' and
'CHILD' are clustered.

Thank you for your replies.
  Kittu. Received on Mon Jun 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message