Re: developer 2000 --> SQL net --> personal Oracle 7

From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: 1996/06/24

> > I have windows 95, and the windows 95 version of personal Oracle 7.
> > I can connect to the local database using SQL plus 3.2 ( The one that
> > comes with personal Oracle 7), but if I try SQLplus 3.1 or Oracle net
> > test i get the following error messages:

Look carefully into the folders from which you ran the installer. The text that follows is from the README that ended up in my ORAWIN95 directory/folder. I installed Personal Oracle 7 and Developer 2k and then ran the setup program and can make connections to my local database without any problems at all. The problem is the mix of 16bit and 32bit apps, but the fix, I think, replaces the 16bit pieces which facilitate the database connections with 32bit compatible versions.

Glenn Stauffer
DBA
Swarthmore College

1.2 - CONNECTING 16-BIT APPLICATIONS 1.2.1 Using Loopback to connect from 16-bit applications to the local Personal Oracle7 for Windows 95 database is not a supported function. Only local connections may be made from 16-bit applications.

1.2.2 16-bit Windows applications require updated Oracle Required Support Files (RSF) to connect to Personal Oracle7 for Windows 95. This update is necessary even if these applications are able to connect to Personal Oracle7 for Windows 3.1.

16-bit Windows applications previously required "2:" as the database name when connecting to Personal Oracle7 products. The update provided changes this behavior such that applications based on ORA71WIN.DLL or ORA72WIN.DLL do not have to specify "2:" (it is now the default). Applications based on ORA7WIN.DLL do not change in this manner and have to specify 2: as the database name.

Provided with Personal Oracle7 for Windows 95 is a separate installation which detects currently installed RSFs and installs new ones. Run SETUP.EXE located in the \WINDOWS directory of your release media. Received on Mon Jun 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message