Re: Differences between the Microsoft and the Oracle SQL server

From: Jeff Lundgren <summit_at_ns.net>
Date: 1996/06/23

aias wrote:

> Hi, what are the difference between the Oracle SQL and
> the Microsoft SQL?
>
> I am going to restructure the informatic organization of an
> association. A part of the work requires the introduction
> of a Windows NT server that should contain administration
> and medical data. I think that, at the beginning, about 4-5
> PC clients will be used, while, in the future, more clients
> will be present and other two servers could be introduced
> in branch offices. I need a SQL server to manage data.
> The candidates are the Oracle SQL server and the Microsoft
> SQL server. I would appreciate any hints on this topic.
> I would know pros and cons of the two DBMS.
>
> Further, we are going to introduce a site on Internet and
> I think that we could use a WEB server either to allow
> Internet people to access our server either for internal pourposes;
> i.e. the staff could access the data on the server by HTML
> documents. According to the selected SQL, I will use the Oracle
> WEB server or the Microsoft WEB server.
> I would knows also pros and cons about this matter.
>
> I thank in advance anybody who will help me.
>
> Franco Scarselli

Oracle is more difficult to learn that much is true. MS SQL Server 6.5 is a great product. I prefer it. Look down the road a bit. If your using windows NT why not use MS SQL Server, there both made by microsoft, and that is a big plus. Some say that MS SQL Server doesn't support row record locking. That accually makes the whole database slower anyway, but 6.5 does have a for of it. I recommend MS SQL Server.

--
Jeff Lundgren
Summit Consulting Services

Computer Consultants helping small businesses in the greater sacramento
area.