Re: Is it possible to reduce the datafile size?

From: <mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com>
Date: 1996/06/21

In <DtBon3.AFx_at_news.hawaii.edu>, kittu_at_gis.eng.hawaii.edu (Chakravarthy Nalamotu) writes:
>Hi Oracle Users,
>Is it possible to reduce the datafile size
>with/without losing data. I have a datafile,
>using 10% of the space. Was wondering if I
>can rip off some of that un-used space.
>Atleast, at this point I do not intend to drop the
>tablespace though.
>
>Thank you for your replies,
> Kittu.

Starting at v.7.2 you can resize datafiles. Assume you initially created a 100M datafile now want to shrink it to 50M (also assuming less than 50% of the available space is being utilized) use:

alter database datafile 'Yourfile' resize 50M;

M.Landa Received on Fri Jun 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message