Re: Automatic SHUTDOWN of Workgroup Server on NT

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/06/21

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:50:03 GMT, jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si (Jure Modic) wrote:

>Richard Clapp Jr <102777.3306_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>
>>I deliberately turned off the server power while the database was
>>inserting into a table. When I brought the NT server back up, it
>>was not running (the DB). I started the DB, and everything was
>>fine. If you want to automate the startup, there is a couple of
>
>The catch is that this time you were lucky, but there is no way to be
>100% sure that you will have the same luck next time you do the same
>thing. That is why such thing as database shutdown exists!

They might have been lucky NT came back up but the big difference between a database and a file system is the recovery. It would be the (rare) exception if the database did not come up and even then, support should be able to recover it (unless the file system was physically damaged).

The databases are built to recover. Unless the disks were physically damaged during the 'turn off', system crash recovery, performed during startup, will be all that is needed.

I run Oracle on an NT and have never 'shut it down' cleanly (as far as I know). Using shutdown doesn't seem to run any shutdown scripts (I've been following this thread to see if anyone has a workaround). My database does the equivalent of a power outage every time I turn it off (two times a day, every day, it is a laptop). The only that that shutdowns cleanly on NT seems to be NT itself.

>>Richard Clapp
>>Maximation, Inc.
>>Columbus, OH
>
>Regards,
>Jure Modic

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com -- Check out our web site! Brand new, uses Oracle Web Server and Database

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Jun 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message