Re: SQL Error - ORA-01547: failed to allocate extent

From: Vikram Goel <vgoel_at_pts.mot.com>
Date: 1996/06/20

Jim,

I guess you are out of luck this time, as if the manuals are with the DBA?, and of course he is not there. Actually you may be able o do this, if you have been granted the correct privileges, The 1547 error is indicating that you ran out of space in the tablespace indicated. You as a user should be assigned a default tablespace to use temporary space. This temp space is used by oracle as a work area store data, for sorts , ...
In your case the default may be set to 'TEST', If tou know which tablespace has been created for temp usage you can try to alter your userid to set it up. i.e

        'alter user <userid> temporary tablespace <ts_name>;' If you are unable to do so , you can try adding a new datafile to the tablespace, i,e.: Alter tablespace test add datafile '<datafile_spec> size nnMG; it is very unlikely that you have this privilege.

The third option is to wait until you DBA returns.

Hope you are lucky.
 --
Vikram Goel Sr. Oracle DBA - Consultant

Aerotek Inc.                                My email:  vgoel_at_emi.net

Motorola Info:                              Motorola email: vgoel_at_pts.mot.com
Mail Stop 39, Room S1014
1500 Gateway Blvd,
Boynton Beach, FL 33426