Re: Question: Temporary tables for several users at once.

From: Matthew Marek <mmarek_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: 1996/06/20

Rodney,

I really appreciate your help. I'm trying to reserve the batch TRUNCATE as a last resort. If I'm hearing you correctly, it sounds like if I created a larger table initially, and made use of the PCTUSED setting I might be able to avoid having these extents occur and space might be reused aftern an insertion is rolled back? I need to learn more about PCTUSED/PCTFREE.

Let's assume that the table is large enough that it won't be extended when a user inserts 100 records. Then if the user rolls back this transaction, will the space that the insertion required be freed up for future users (if PCTUSED is set right)? Was it the fact that the table was being extended that caused a rollback not to free up space? Or is it the case that when insertions are rolled back, the blocks used are just no longer available?

Thanks,
Matt
mmarek_at_mail.state.wi.us Received on Thu Jun 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message