Beginner needs help with SQL-forms

From: M Adam <markadam_at_gsb206.srv.ualberta.ca>
Date: 1996/06/19

Help! I am using SQL-forms(3.0) to write an application for job-description Database. The data looks like this

JOB_ID_NUMBER (Primary field starts at 100000 is sequential to 100078)
[other fields tied to the same block]

[A secondary, detail block of months in which each job is performed]

What I want is for the user to come up in a new form fill out the job-id and after hitting [nxtfld] have the form go to that job id(if it exists) using GO_RECORD. I was trying to use ROWID variables inside the NXTFLD trigger to compute the record they should go to, but I keep error

'your variable must be of a valid type or sub-type'

SQL forms does not seem to want to accept ROWID variables, despite my copying an example from the Oracle PL/SQL manual(2.0) eg DECLARE

    my_row ROWID;

from a anonymous trigger(in a procedure doesn't work either) These manuals are all I have to learn from and it is driving me crazy.

If there is something I am missing or a better way to do this I would greatly appreciate any advice. Received on Wed Jun 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message