Re: sql*plus and using & character to prompt for input; can I escape it?

From: Joe Ramey <ramey_at_jello.csc.ti.com>
Date: 1996/06/19

In article <x6afxzv65g.fsf_at_jello.csc.ti.com> ramey_at_jello.csc.ti.com (Joe Ramey) writes:

   We have an SQL statement that looks something like this:

   INSERT INTO TMS VALUES ('Crafts & Co.');

   When I run this through sqlplus (V 7.2.2.3.0 if it makes any    difference) it says:

   Enter value for co:

   and waits for input. Now, I understand that this is a feature that    allows a script to prompt the user for the value of a variable. My    question is: how do I prevent this from happening? What is the    correct way to escape the special meaning of the & character here?    Why are the single quotes not enough?

   I'm told that the SQL client on NT doesn't behave the same way    (meaning that the & in this context doesn't prompt the user for    anything) but haven't verified this myself.

   Thanks for any explanation you can provide.

I've been given an answer; I need to first do `set escape on', and then I can escape the special meaning of the & with a backslash, e.g.

INSERT INTO TMS VALUES ('Crafts \& Co.'); Received on Wed Jun 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message