Power Objects vs List Boxes

From: Randall Gellens <Randy_at_Pensive.Org>
Date: 1996/06/19

List boxes in Power Objects don't seem to do what I want.

I want to have a form where the user can pick the record via a list box. In the OPO manuals and sample apps, they always use a scroll bar for this, which means the poor user sees one record at a time, making scrolling harder than it has to be. I tried using a list box, but picking an element from a list box does not update the current record of the form's recordset. I tried using a repeater, but it doesn't highlight the entry, and it is harder to get it to look right. (I know I can use a current record pointer, but it still doesn't really look right). I did think of a few ways to get around the problem with list boxes, but I'd have to shove lots of extra cotton in the kluge alarms. For example, I could recreate all my tables (since I'm using Blaze) and add a new column to each, of type RowID, then bind the list box to the RowID, and in the list box's Click() method, call Container.GetRecordset().SetCurRow ( Self.Value ), or some really complex work to search for the record.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, etc.

--
Randy Gellens                               "I speak for myself alone"                             Randy_at_Pensive.Org