Re: Oracle database links

From: Mark Heiple <markh_at_xetron.com>
Date: 1996/06/19

In article <31C7E733.340A_at_lilly.com>, "Robert W. Swisshelm" <swisshelm_at_lilly.com> wrote:

> Mark Heiple wrote:
> >
> > I can't get the database links to work. Just how do you create a database
> > link?
> > ... some extracted information ...
> > I've tried CREAT PUBLIC DATABASE LINK LINK_TO_BACKUP USING
> > 'MYDB_ON_BACKUP' from the PRIMARY machine while logged into the database
> > MYDB_ON_PRIMARY.
> >

> Database links usually contain the username and password needed to
> connect to the remote database.
>
> CREATE DATABASE LINK LINK_T0_BACKUP
> CONNECT TO username IDENTIFIED BY password
> USING 'MYDB_ON_BACKUP';
>
> If you don't specify the username and password in the link, Oracle uses
> the username and password that you used to log onto the local database
> when trying to make the remote connection.
>
> I hope this helps.
> --
> Bob Swisshelm
> Eli Lilly and Company
> swisshelm_at_lilly.com

I tried specifying the connect to... identified by... clauses and it didn't help. Actually, I want the database link to use the username/password of the person logged into the local database.

I can connect internal/password_at_link_to_backup from the primary machine, but whenever i select * from table_at_link_to_backup, it get error ORA_12203. Received on Wed Jun 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message