Re: Oracle DBA Interview Questions

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/06/19

In article <31C63456.7F63_at_ni.net> ngreene_at_ni.net writes:
>John Jones wrote:
>>
>TECHNICAL QUESTIONS
>
>Always ask the candiates the versions and releases they worked with in the database, tools and operating
>systems. I usually find it a bad indication to find a candidate that doesn't know which version of the
>operating system they were using, or the RDBMS or patch information.

I don't know which versions I have worked with off the top of my head. I think anyone who does know:

  1. Doesn't have enough experience, hasn't worked with very many versions.
  2. Is way too smart, should be doing something more suited to their talent.
  3. Worked at some place that doesn't keep up with the versions, a place that is very static.

or
D: Is BS'ing.

How can I know all versions, when I work with multitudes of OS and Oracle version combinations? I just put some of the latest on the resume, and mention 5 and 6 in passing if there is some conversion likely in the job.

Better to ask them to describe some problem they had ("say, did you ever get rollback segment problems?"), and how they dealt with it.

Or, "What was the shortest time you had an Oracle version up?" :)

>Ask he/she specifics on the database schema. Number of tables, procedures, triggers, users. A DBA should have
>a good handle on this information and should be able to tell you at what rate the database or bases were
>growing. These are good indications of a DBA that is "aware" of the systems they manage.

No, a good DBA should be able to have this informations at his/her fingertips, when at the job. Why should the DBA be able to tell you this? Again, this is just showing the above lettered possibilities. This puts people with experience in modern monitoring tools or very complex environments at a disadvantage - to your detriment. As a manager, you should be looking for people to complement your groups skills, not replicate them (unless your group explicitly plan on leaving or are looking for a backup for a skill).

Maybe you can do this determination well, you shouldn't be advising others to use what is basically a manual method with a steep learning curve (hmmmm... just like classic Oracle database administration) that only applies to certain limited situations.

The candidate should be able to give examples of DBA information, and you need to know enough to tell if they are just parrotting training classes. Demonstration of methodology is more important than arbitrary trivia. Although, our local user group played an Oracle Trivia game at one meeting, and it was fun. If the person who is making the hiring decision doesn't know enough to tell, he needs to get someone who does.

So what do you do if the candidate tells you they worked with developers, who were constantly changing and rearranging things? That person likely would have much better experience than someone who could be "aware," as you say, perhaps with a boring static system.

>MANAGEMENT QUESTIONS
>
>Ask the candiate what type of change control and revision policys they implemented or used. Any references to

This assumes they were the ones making this decision. I have been at places where I would have to avoid this question!

>documentation they may have had to write are good. What management tools were used to monitoring databases.

This is a technical question, isn't it?

>Find and hire candiates with motivation and desire to be a good DBA. Don't hire people that simply what to
>work with databases. Desire can go a long way.

On the other hand, some people think pessimism, even to the point of paranoia, is a desireable trait in an Oracle DBA. At least designing backups. If the database never screwed up, you'd be an Rdb DBA, eh?

jg
(Started on Oracle around 1982 or so, doesn't remember the version.)

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>