Re: Backup of Oracle databases

From: Mike Rife <rife_at_moffitt.usf.edu>
Date: 1996/06/19

In article <4q5t84$p60_at_mozart.wg.icl.co.uk>, simon_at_openplus.co.uk says...

>I need some information about backing up Oracle databases. I want to
>perform a file level backup of an oracle database whilst the database
>is running. Whilst this backup is being performed there will be no
>updates. Is there anyway of locking the database so no updates can be
>performed but reads are still allowed. If there is is this a safe way
>of performing the backup.
>
>TIA
>
>Simon Fawkes

Yes, this is called a hot backup. You need to place all the tablespaces in BACKUPMODE. Next perform your file level backup. Then put the tablespaces in regular non-BACKUPMODE.

ALTER TABLESPACE tablespace_name BEGIN BACKUP; perform file level copies to tape.
ALTER TABLESPACE tablespace_name END BACKUP;

Updates can be performed while tablespaces are in BACKUPMODE. Received on Wed Jun 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message