Re: works webserver 1.0.1 agains server 7.2.2??

From: Kenichi Mizuta <kmizuta_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/06/18

David-Michael Lincke wrote:

> Michael Laengle (michael.laengle_at_uni-konstanz.de) wrote:
> : Hi,
> : I've tried to install the webserver release 1.0.1 on solaris2.4 and tried to connect to an 7.2.2server on Irix5.3 with the
> : webagent over sqlnetv2. No chance it doesnt work, and the oracle-support told me:
> : a) That the webserver (listener + agent) must run on the same machine as the database-server (really???)
> : b) That the webserver release 1.0.1 does only run with the server release 7.1.6. and not with 7.2.2 (???)
> :
> : Is there anybody who knows the configuration-steps?
> : Thanks a lot
> : Michael
>
> The installation guide for the HP-UX 10.01 version of Oracle WebServer
> 1.0.1 classifies 7.2.x as supported. You have to use a different
> ORACLE_HOME though. I still never got it running though sine the god damn
> thing kept on core dumping when trying to register the agent.
>
> dave
> --
> David-Michael Lincke
> Research Assistant
> Institute for Information Management IWI-HSG, University of St. Gallen
> EMail: David-Michael.Lincke_at_iwi.unisg.ch, dlincke_at_sgcl1.unisg.ch

If I'm not mistaken, the problem that you are having is because you are missing svrmgrl or sqldba under the ORACLE_HOME directory that the web server is residing under. The reason why the installation manuals direct you to install the Web Server under a different ORACLE_HOME for v7.2 is that some of the extraneous products that are necessary (sqldba, sqlnet, etc.) are for v7.1.6. If you install it in the same directory, there is a chance that they will get overwritten with older versions. However, the Web Server uses sqldba or svrmgrl to do some management, and it looks for it under the ORACLE_HOME of the Web Server.

                   /  Kenichi Mizuta
                  /   Oracle Corporation (Redwood Shores, CA)
                 /    Applications Division
      ////      /     email: kmizuta_at_us.oracle.com
     |0 0|     /      tel:   1-415-506-0390
_ooO_ \U/_Ooo_/       fax:   1-415-506-7801