Re: ***bad modems

From: Glenn Pilcher <pilcheg_at_tfs.net>
Date: 1996/06/17

This is going out every other day to all the forums until Aspen answers me on this!!! Help me get on them at <techsup_at_intrepid.net>

Hi, I'm the guy with the bad modem. I have emailed the below message to well over 100 computer companys around the world and have gotten responses from over 75 of them. They all wish me well and some of them said they even emailed Aspen nasty messages. Unfortunately, Aspen isn't one of the respondents.

I have a modem that is not working made by Aspen Technologies Inc and they will not respond to email. Would you, by any chance, know who supplies their chips? I'm trying to saturate the internet hoping to find who supplies THEM and that they will nudge them into answering.

Below is a email to them.

      To:
          techsup_at_intrepid.net

***********************

This was sent on the second and the third of June. Are you so un-careing that people here tell me your modem is no good???

RE-SEND email of yesterday, please respond. I hate to have people here
tell me I bought a lemon and get no response from the lemon maker. I'll have to look up the invoice but I believe I bought it in Feb 96.

Have a Sierra Data Fax SQ3460. Manual says the model # is 28IDSSA I'm having trouble with it in that I get dumped off line often and my internet supplier blames this "obscure model of modem" I have. I did have trouble at first getting the irq right. The windows95 wanted to set it at 9 and some times 11. It would work for a while and then fail. I manually set it to irq 3 and it at least stays computer active. As I said though, I get dropped off line often, maybe in a hour or maybe 6 or 7 seconds. As I said, my internet supplier blames this unit for the problems. Tells me I should have bought a 'name' brand.

Pentium 100/16M is the machine it is running on.

Can you help???

e-mail pilcheg_at_tfs.net

Can you believe the above email would not get answered by Aspen?

It's a plug and play config. Win95 wants to put it on com3 and irq (sometimes 9 or 11 or 12)and it will work fine for a few days on those settings and then flag me that the irq is wrong and I have to start over. Win95 is a cantankerous SOB. I tried removing it completely and putting it on com2 and standard irq3 with the drivers that came with it and it worked UNTIL I rebooted. Win95 then proceded to reload it on com3 and irq9 ALSO. Now I had the same modem loaded on 2 and 3! I finally solved the problem by leaving it on com3 and manually setting the irq to 3. I'm not using com2 anyway so there is no conflict.

One respondent sent me this string but it made no difference. ATL1M1X4Q0V1E1S0=0S7=045&C1&D2\Q3 Aspens' home page alludes to selling to wholesalers. That is where I got the email address,BTW. I am between a rock and a hard spot on this thing. I upgraded to a pentium in Feb and told the guy to put a 28.8 modem in it. I erred in not specifying a brand and he stuck this thing in it. I'm stuck because (stupidly) I answered an ad in the paper. He was advertising a monitor I thought I wanted, got to talking and wound up ordering the upgrade. He, supposedly, has his computers assembled here in town by a company that assembles for major companys. I can't find out who they are and naturally he doesn't return my calls. His address turns out to be a mail box also. I hate to admit to being that dumb but it happens, I guess.

Do you think it might work better on my old 486DX33 using 3.1?

They may choose to ignore me and their bad modem but I'll bet you I can give them more bad publicity on the internet than the modem is worth. I'm like a bulldog, I never give up!

Glenn
Glen,

Let me tell you somthing about the sierra based modem, do everything in your power to get rid of this modem. There was a time when we at *Joe Blow* experienced something very similar to what you are describing with sierra based modems. There were a variety of solutions to this issue, and it can be resolved. The only question that remains is weather or not aspen is going to respond to you and by the way you have been posting, it does not look like they are going to talk to you. Your problem can be fixed, just remember that. If you cannot get in the front door with them and you are serious about getting this issue resolved, start making calls to the corporate headquarters. I do not have the phone number, but I do know that they are located at Princton West VA and I do have an old number (don't know if it is still active) (304-425-1111) call them and do not give up until they replace the modem.

good luck, Joe Blow Received on Mon Jun 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message