Re: The black art of SQL*Net

From: <ericah_at_wairc.govt.nz>
Date: 1996/06/17

In article <4ogupf$pl2_at_news.mel.aone.net.au>, jimr_at_aone.net.au (Jim Richards (aka Mr Grumpy)) writes:

> After having a look through this news group I find there are two types of
> people.
>
> 1. Those who know how to set up and start the tns listener.
> 2. And those who don't ...
>
> I an in the second category. I have a solaris box, oracle 7.3.2 and a win95
> box. I have sql*net v2 ... all the files appear correct, and look nice.
>
> Does anyone have any of the "ah ha" experiences in getting it going that
> they would like to share?
>
> As far as I get when in developer/2000 I enter the connect string of
> devl (the instance name, or SID for the purists) I get the two errors
> PDE-PUP004 which means oracle7 had an error and ORA-12154 and if I use
> the connect string of t:bismark:devl i get the same pup error but
> ORA-6105.
>
> Now because I have the documentation on CD I cannot seem to find the
> error messages.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> "Strive to be the Spock of Programming. Accept only what is logical.
> Reject that which has no explanation."
> This was brought to you by jimr_at_aone.net.au, Access One ... Ph +61 2 391 0727

Firstly the connect string you give above (t:...) is an sql*net 1.1 connect string. you need to use the short or full connect string for the instance as defined in your tnsnames.ora - the short connect string need not be the same as your SID.

If you need help setting up tnsnames.ora and listener.ora please feel free to email me.

Erica Harris                    ericah_at_wairc.govt.nz
Oracle DBA
Environment Waikato
Hamilton
New Zealand Received on Mon Jun 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message