Re: Development DBA Tool Recommendations

From: Paul Osborn <posborn_at_menlosoftware.com>
Date: 1996/06/14

flemir_at_tdbank.ca (Rosemary Fleming) wrote:

>We are just starting to look for tools as well. I too, come from a DB2/IMS
>background, so can relate to the type of tools you are looking for. Here are
>some very rough equivalents you may want to look at:

>>BMC's Change Manager (a tool which for example would generate all the DDL,
>>unload and LOAD statements for reordering columns)

>I haven't heard of a good Change Manager tool for Oracle similar to the BMC
>Change Manager, but would be interested if you find any
>
>>Some kind of debugging tool for PL/SQL - haven't looked at. But I vaguely
>remember seeing a presentation for Oracle testing tools by Legent (now
>Computer Associates) a long time ago.

>>Some kind of Logical to Physical design tool, with the ability to generate
>>the DDL when the physical design is finalised.

>There are many CASE tools out there which generate DDL from a model (a common
>one is Erwin). We use an add-on product to the Bachman DBA product we have for
>DB2. It generates DDL, but just saves typing; you have to make a lot of manual
>changes to the DDL. But it is an cheap alternative for someone having the
>Bachman CASE tools already. We looked at Bachman's new Windows product which
>was supposed to be written especially for Oracle. However, it was too similar
>to Sybase (Bachman wrote it for Sybase first) and its first release left a lot
>to be desired.

>>A reorg package.

>Platinum has a tool as well as company called Aris , I think (I might have the
>spelling wrong).

>>A monitor.
>Platinum DB Vision, BMC Patrol, Candle OMegamon, something from Best/1, a
>monitor from Compuware.

[warning: self promotion on]

Consider DBAware from Menlo Software. Details may be found at: www.menlosoftware.com

[self promotion off]

>What about a tool to analyze Explains, similar to Platinum Plan Analyzer.
>Platinum has just come out with an Explain tool, also called Platinum Plan
>Analyzer, though I heard that it is a tool they acquired from another company
>- therefore, it is unlikely it has the same look and feel as the DB2 tool.

I agree that a tool to analyze explains is an important tool to have.

--
posborn_at_menlosoftware.com      Menlo Software
http://www.menlosoftware.com   744 College Ave.