DBMS_PIPE

From: Ronald Reidy <ronreidy_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/06/14

Hello,

I am trying to implement a listener using DBMS_PIPE. The server lpatform is Alpha (UNIX).

I am having many problems implementing the pipe portion of the listener. Below is a breif synopsis of the problems I am having. I can provide all the gory details to anyone who may be able to help.

  1. I have a PL/SQL record with many fields. I initially initialized all fields to NULL. That was causing problems, so I am now initializing all fields to blanks (spaces).
  2. When the record is received at the server, the host (Pro*C) variables that I am moving the PL/SQL records' fields into are null
    (that is, the empty string).
  3. Upon returning to the client process (via a different DBMS_PIPE), I am receiving the error -6502 (PL/SQL: numeric or value error).

In addition to the above problem, I also need to write a procedure (of function) in PL/SQL that will determine if a named pipe is currently active in the instance. I know there is a procedure in DBMS_PIPE that will give me a unique name, but what I really want is to validate the name I am using is an active pipe. Is there somewhere in the database
(i.e. sys or systems's tables) that I might find this information?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (especially from anyone who monitors this newsgroup that is an employee of Oracle Corp.).

TIA rr Received on Fri Jun 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message