Re: ODBC (32 bit) and win95 problem

From: BOUWMAN T.R.M. <T.R.M.Bouwman_at_kub.nl>
Date: 1996/06/14

In article <31bec785.75821548_at_news.demon.co.uk> dave.j.lester_at_wg.waii.com writes:
>From: dave.j.lester_at_wg.waii.com
>Subject: Re: ODBC (32 bit) and win95 problem
>Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:35:16 GMT

>On 11 Jun 1996 22:54:40 GMT, username_at_qualcomm.com (username) wrote:

>I'm trying to do much the same using Excel to connect to Oracle, but I
>have not been able to D/L the ODBCW95.EXE Self extracting Executable.
>Is this what you have?? If it is then I would be very greatful if you
>could post it to this ng. My E-Mail will not accept such a large
>file.
>I will be connecting to an Oracle 7.0.13 Database on our server. Are
>you running Personal Oracle7 for Windows '95??

>I believe that the MS Office Professional for Win95 will not work with
>the 16bit drivers, 'cos I'm having the same problem. Hence the need
>for the win95 ODBC. If you let me have the programs, I will try to
>get it to work here and let you know the results.

>regards,

>David Lester
>dave.j.lester_at_wg.waii.com

When working on Win95, one needs to keep in mind several things: application, ODBC and SQL*Net MUST be either 16 bits or 32 bits when working to a remote database.
With a local database it is almost the same. SQL*Net is replaced by the so called two-task driver. As connect string "2:" (without the quotes) must be used.
In your case with MS-Access 2.0 (16 bits) you will need a 16 bits ODBC driver (latest is 1.14 I believe) and at least 7.1.4.0.9 as Required Support Files for Windows. Make sure the \ORAWIN\BIN directory is also part of the path.

Tom Bouwman                        email: tbouwman_at_nl.oracle.com (preferred)
Mozartlaan 5                       or     T.R.M.Bouwman_at_kub.nl
4941 AD RAAMSDONKSVEER             Phone: (+31) 0162-514121
The Netherlands Received on Fri Jun 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message