Re: Technology Jobs Available Now

From: Charles Stevenson <stevenc_at_HLTHSRC.COM>
Date: 1996/06/14

clserver_at_ix.netcom.com(Richard L. Goode) wrote:
>What about my First Amendment rights to "Free Speech"!

The Bill of Rights attached to the U.S. Constitution are restrictions on GOVERNMENTAL control, not private people. You have not such "right" whenever the government is not involved, such as (I hope & pray!) within the internet.

There is a growing popular belief within the United States that the freedoms granted in our Bill of Rights place restrictions in other private arenas.

But the 1st ammendment right to peaceably assemble (freedom of association), for example, does not just mean you get to associate with me if you want. It also means that I DON'T have to associate with you if I DON'T want to. Your freedom ends where my nose begins. An example is the Boy Scouts', (a private organization), refusal to associate with athiests. Free speech means the government can't stop you from talking, but it does not force an audience to lsten to you - except in a town meeting, or other governmental forum.

So if newsgroups participants agree that they do not want to associate with headhunters, & they can figure out a way to shut you out, fine.

Personally, I like to see the job postings.