Re: Create 1 or multiple databases for class

From: Steve Long <answers_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/06/13

In <4ppum2$13r_at_utaipx02.uta.edu> xxsiu_at_omega.uta.edu (Sunny Siu) writes:

>We start using Oracle 7.2 for a class of 60 students this summer
 semester.
>Each student in the class is going to create its table and program in
>embedded SQL/C.
>
>option 1. Create database for each student.
>
>option 2. Create just one database for the whole class,

>Question 1. What are the pros and cons of option 1 and option 2?

Use option 2. One database with multiple user IDs. I expect you do not have enough machine resources to support 60 simultaneous instances (SGA, background processes, and disk capacity). Even Oracle Corporation uses on instance for the class with users defined generically. Something like Student_01, Student_02, etc. works fine.

>Question 2. In option2, can each student create table with the same
 name,
> like "CREATE TABLE LAB1 ...."? How about writing programs
> to access the database?

Yes. Names are resolved using the local schema (user id) first. As long as each student logs in under a seperate user id, this works fine.  Student_01.Table_A is different than Student_05.Table_A.

>Question 3. Any security issue I need to pay attention in option 2?

You can define a role, such as STUDENT, and then grant the role STUDENT to each student account. Use one tablespace for all accounts if they are only issuing DDL and DML and not doing DBA priviledged operations (like alter tablespace offline). Then grant the desired quotas to the accounts.

>Your suggestion is appreciated.
>
>--
>--Sunny Siu
> Unix system admin., ACS
> University of Texas at Arlington
> siu_at_uta.edu

Steve
804-262-6332 Received on Thu Jun 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message