Re: Measuring SQL execution time ?

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/06/13

On Thu, 13 Jun 96 08:36:43 PDT, bwskiles_at_adpc.purdue.edu wrote:

>> I am interested in timing some SQL calls for a hardware comparison,

>> and I am aware of the timing function in SQL. The problem is

>> this is actual clocked time, from start to finish. It includes

>> time the CPU may have used to do other things and serve other users.

>> Is there any other way to measure CPU cycle associated with this call >?

>> I am also wondering if there is an easy way to simulate a large user load

>> and make timing measurements "under load".

>Many operating systems (VMS, UNIX) will give you elapsed CPU time and total elapsed time

>for your operations. To simulate loads, we use batch jobs to logon up to 55 concurrent

>users and have them all launch a set of queries of varying degrees of complexity. It

>stresses the system quite well. How you would do this depends upon your operating

>system. If you could provide more details on your environment, I'm sure you would get

>more detailed help from the generous folks at this group. :-)
>
>--brad

You may also want to look at "alter session set sql_trace=true" and TKPROF. If you turn on timed_statistics in your Init.ora, you will get wall clock and cpu time for all calls in a trace file. tkprof is documented in the application developers guide.

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com -- Check out our web site! Brand new, uses Oracle Web Server and Database

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Jun 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message