Re: OCI orlon fails with ORA-12547

From: Binesh Bannerjee <binesh_at_panix.com>
Date: 1996/06/13

Keith Majkut (kmajkut_at_netcom.com) wrote:
: I think 12547 is a SQLNET error, which could mean that your connect
: string isn't any good in the first place. Can you connect with any
: Oracle app using that connect string?

Yeah, actually I finally got the program to work, by not using /bin/idld to link the files, (I just use cc to link the files) and for some reason, that makes it work, just perfectly... Curiosity makes me ask this next question, but, since I have the whole thing working now, it's not AS important...

        If I change the program to make it use olog instead of orlon, then the program fails at runtime again... Unfortunately, I got rid of the whole thing that used olog, so, maybe I won't be able to get much help here... But...

I have STILL another question!

I'm trying to write an SQL type equivalent of an HTTP server, basically, where you'd telnet in to some port, and type in SQL, and the server will already have logged into the server, so the SQL response will be fairly quick... Most of it's already done...

My question is : Is this normal? When people link web pages to Oracle, do they typically have some sort of backend oracle server process that has an open connection to the DB, so that there isn't the initial latency of starting up your own instance(?) per connection... For ME, the initial connect to the DB takes a couple of seconds, and then, subsequent accesses are fast... But, with a web server, if the CGI had each time to log in to the database, that just becomes horrendously slow... How are other people doing it? Do WOW or MOWI or oraywww stuff maintain an open link to the db, or do they login each time a new HTTP request comes in?

What I'm doing now, is I'm opening a connection to oracle, (orlon) and then I listen, and for each new process, I make a new cda and execute the query...

Thanks!

Binesh

--
* There's nothing wrong with me...            http://www.panix.com/~binesh *