Re: Maximum db_block size

From: Vipin Gokhale <vgokhale_at_oraosf2.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/06/13

Ayokunle Giwa <akgiwa_at_cnct.com> writes:

> Hi,I would appreciate help clarifying this issue for me Ive read
> conflicting text regarding what is the absolute maximum db_block size
> allowed in Oracle and when is it advisable to go beyond the basic 2k or 4k
>
> Also is there a maximum number of blocks for a database
>

> Thanx
> (*) (*)
> |
> < >

 db_block_size is dependent on the platform you're running Oracle on. Typically, max is 8K, however, for platforms like DEC Unix, max is 32K.

Rule of thumb is to use smaller block sizes for OLTP type workload while larger block sizes help DSS type applications.

Vipin Gokhale
DEC SBU
Oracle Corporation
Disclaimer:         Any opinions expressed here are mine and not that
                    of my employer.