Re: Raw drives

From: <dacummins_at_delphi.com>
Date: 1996/06/12

blape_at_utk.edu (Bryon Lape) wrote:

> I am wondering if the newest version of Oracle for Unix (Solaris 2.5
>in this case) needs raw disk drives or can it write to RAID-5s? Also, can it
>take full advantage of a 4 processor system (Sun SPARC 2000E)?

>bryon
>--
>Without the first step, no journey, no matter how long or short, can start
>and in no way end.
>Bryon Lape
>email: blape_at_utk.edu WWW:http://aztec.lib.utk.edu/~bryon

no. yes. yes.
it doesn't need raw drives, but can use them. ithink the only case raw is required is when running parallel server. there's a lot of argument over raw vs. RAID5. the main thing is you lose your file system caching when you go to raw - which can hurt. if you set up RAID5 properly, it'll scream and give you much less headaches in the long run (IMHO).

yes oracle will use all the processors available. just _don't_ screw with the 'cpu_count' instance parameter. also advise setting 'log_simultaneous_copies' to twice your cpu count and setting the 'log_small_entry_max_size' to something low (32-0). also, on solaris, make sure the 'use_readv' parameter is set to 'true'!!!

happy motoring,
douglas a cummins
dacummins_at_delphi.com
delphi consulting services, inc.