Moving SYS.SOURCE$ out of the system tablespace

From: Robert Cordingley <cord_at_zoom.com>
Date: 1996/06/12

One of the DBA's at my company is insisting that we move our SYS.SOURC$ table out of the system tablespace. We have a lot (300+) of stored functions and procedures (which are mostly aggregated into packages) and the table takes up a hell of a lot of space.

I don't really think I agree with the need to move it. I have yet to hear a really good reason as to why it's evil to have a large system tablespace. Fragmentation is not an issue, since the source code will mutate *VERY* rarely (at a customer site). The only other drawback I can see is that the table could possibly hit MAX_EXTENTS, but that could be ameliorated by altering the table's storage parameters.

So is there a good reason to do this? If so, is there an ABSOLUTELY safe way to do it? Will Oracle continue to deliver support (such as it is) for a database configured this way?

I only have about 2 years as a DBA, so I definitely don't know it all. I'm not taking a position on this, just seeking information. The other DBA won't/can't explain the rationale to me.

TIA.                                 Robert Received on Wed Jun 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message