Re: Unfathomable ERD Relationships

From: Steve Long <answers_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/06/11

Jack,

Designer allows you to specify any kind of relationship you need. One need only grasp the notation. The only drawback I have encountered is not being able to specify, other than with text, precise cardinality, such as when there are exactly 2 or some such situation.

For a master/detail relationship where the master is required and the detail is optional with many, you should have an exaclty one symbol with a solid line on the master connection and a dashed line with crow's foot terminator on the detail side. This is supported in Designer. You can also do mutually exclusive and some other non-trivial relationships.

I am not sure if this addresses your concern or if you were just venting. Remember, the tool does not assign the cardinality, the user does. Hope it helps.

Steve
804-262-6332