INITRANS/MAXTRANS ???

From: Michael E. Austin <austin_at_inmind.com>
Date: 1996/06/11

1)
I understand the concept of initrans and maxtrans, but could someone give me a more clear picture as to what values to use on a small db ( < 500Mb ) that will have as many as 150 and as few as 7-8 users at any given point in time. The tables will be relatively small (< 100K recs) but with a 150 or so users, concurrency could be an issue 2 or 3 days per month. Do READ ONLY transactions affect INIT/MAX TRANS? if so, how?

2)
On one of these tables, there is a mirror table (history) and I am looking at values for PCTFREE and PCTUSED. The Monthly table will have most records MOVED from this table to the HISTORY table. I would be concerned with fragmentation if PCTFREE is a larg number. Am I justified in that concern? I am looking at these values for a TABLES tablespace and an INDEX tablespace. Any ideas?

Thanks,

--

| Michael E. Austin | | MICHAEL AUSTIN, INC. | | A DATABASE CONSULTING FIRM | | The Platform only matters if you want performance | | Buy the BEST! Buy Digital Alpha and Oracle7 or RDB | | austin_at_inmind.com http://www.inmind.com/people/austin |