Re: Is this the way Oracle always does business?

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: 1996/06/11

keystrk_at_feist.com (Jack L. Swayze Sr.) wrote:

>kkkong_at_ee.cuhk.hk (Alan Kong) wrote:

>>Oracle may like dealing with big business only. However, if our students do not
>>know Oracle, how are they going to recommend and aprroved the purchase order
>>when they become the senior person in big companies one day?

>Ummm, really? I haven't seen many 'senior persons in big companies'
>come out of the Chinese U in Hong Kong lately (at least here in the
>heart of the midwest of the USA).

>Maybe Oracle is aware that Hong Kong will revert back to the Chinese
>soon, and they consider the Chinese U there to be lost territory ? I
>would.

>'Keystroke'
>KeystrkTX_at_AOL.COM

Nice attitude. I assure you, Alan, not all Ameicans are as near sighted as 'Keystroke' seems to be (and I am in Ohio, "the heart of the midwest fo the USA").

Reverting back to the real subject, I have had repeated problems when dealing with Oracle, mostly in the pre-sales area (I am still trying to decipher when ConText will be available with 7.3 on NT). Although, at a previous company, when trying to get a consultant to come in and help us tune our database on an Alpha server, we where told by Oralce that "[we] typically do not take jobs that are less than $500,000." Needless to say, we never called them for consulting help again.

It seems to be a real communications problem within Oracle. The sales people never give the same story as the tech-support people. Personally, I think Oracle's biggest threat in the marketplace is not Microsoft, it is Oracle.

--
Mark Wagoner
mwagoner_at_iac.net