Re: DATABASE RECOVERY !!!! HELP!!! DBA s

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/06/11

Shankar Ramanathan <srnathan_at_amoco.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thank you for all of you who responded very quickly. However looks
>like i did not state my situation right.
>
>I did recover the database. ;-)))
>
>Situation.
>
>I have a cold backup of , control file, datafile and all other files
>except the redo log files (after the database is shutdown).
>I did have a redo log file copy, an hour earlier.
>Also i had the redo logs intact when one of the disk crashed.
>
>Now after several attempts of recovery , i figured if i some how
>tell oracle to create a new control file and forget about the
>redo i will be OK.
>
>That is exactly what i did.
>
>1. Startup mount.
>2. alter database backup controlfile trace.
>3. Edit the latest trace (this is a create controlfile script).
>4. _at_trace_file.
>5. Shutdown normal.
>6. startup.
>7. I am back in business!!!
>
>Refer the bulletin board article 1012929.6:
>
>However i was lucky because this is a cold backup and not much
>activity bettween the backup and the crash.
>
>I would recomend copying the redo log files also, strongly otherwise
>the backup is useless.
>
>Thanks again for every one who responded...

If nobody else has suggested it, I'd recommend two things.

  1. Mirror your online redo logs on separate disks
  2. If your database is changed at all between cold backups, run it in archive log mode. -- Chuck Hamilton chuckh_at_dvol.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself! Received on Tue Jun 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message