Re: DATABASE RECOVERY !!!! HELP!!! DBA s

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/06/11

Shankar Ramanathan <srnathan_at_amoco.com> wrote:

>I have a situation which is really frustrating..
>I have a cold backup taken on a weekend, all the datafiles,
>control files copied. (Redo logs were not).
>
>When I restored the datafiles and the control file it says
>control file older than the data file.. (this is a cold backup and
>nothing happened around that period.
>
>1. I have in NOARCHILOG mode.
>2. I shutdown the database and then copied all the data files and
>the control files.
>3. I lost 1 disk , i tried restoring only that, but that did not
>work.
>4. I restored the entire database including the control file.
>now it says control file is older.
>
>is there a way out?
>
>Can I not recreate the control file and reset the logs..
>
>I have the backup yet it is not good enough...
>
>DO we need to backup redo logs also even for a cold backup?
>
>please e-mail me personally since i will be working on this problem all
>night , i may not get into the usenet ... i promise to post it
>to the news groups whatever inteligent solution i get..
>thanks in advance...
>
>Shankar RamaNathan.

When you do a cold backup you need to backup the following:

  1. The control file
  2. All data files
  3. All online redo logs
  4. Any archived redo logs that would be necessary for recovery. (Just get them all. It's safer.)
  5. Optionally - the init.ora file.

We just backup the entire system.

Since you have a cold backup, I'd say to try and recreate the control file. Did you ever backup your control file to trace? If so, you can use the script that created to recreate your control file provided you didn't add any data files or log files. If not you'll have to hunt down all those file names and manually build the CREATE CONTROLFILE statement.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!