Re: Restricted mode & OPTIMAL - where are they?

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/06/10

For determining the status of Oracle being in restricted/unrestricted mode try v$instance.

For determining the optimal size of a rollback segment use v$rollstat and your knowledge of the type of processing the rollback segments need to support. I would pay particular attention to the highwater mark column. If you can assign the larger transactions, and possibly batch jobs to specific rollback segments then you can set the optimal based on transactions otherwise you will need to compromise. Remember that you do not want a high number of shrinks as shrings are relatively expensive.

Experimentation is a good way to find the most workable optimal. You can make an educated guess, but I would follow up with a couple of experiments. As long as you do not make drastic extent sizing decisions you should not create any problems.

Good Hunting,

Mark D. Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow

                               so follow your own advise.