Re: sql*net on lan or local drive?

From: Aaron M. Renn <arenn_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/06/10

Francisco Piragibe wrote:
> As for network drives, they can really blow your bandwidth away if
> used excessively, once ORACLE tools modules are usually several
> megabytes large. I strongly recommend putting only the FMXs on network
> drives. After all, the ORACLE products executables are relatively
> stable modules, and you're not likely to spend most of you days
> upgrading this kind of software.

I agree, but I would recommend storing at least the SQL*Net and oracle.ini files on the LAN drive. The DBA/LAN administrator might indeed want to change the oracle.ini or tnsnames.ora file on the fly. Absent a good softdisk mechanism to all client pc's, storing these files on the LAN is the easiest way to do that.

arenn. Received on Mon Jun 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message