Re: [Help] : Oracle Date Field (vs. SQL Server)

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>
Date: 1996/06/10

In article <4phu74$4jb_at_dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>, Steve Miller <ste7en_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>(snip) This is attributable to the difference in the date
>field lengths. For SQL it's 4 bytes (SmallDate) and for Oracle it's
>49 bytes! Although Oracle uses its own internal format to store 7
>bytes each for day, month, century, year, hour, minute and second,
>we're only interested in century, yr, mth.

You are going to get a flood of replies on this one. Yes, you missed something. Oracle uses 7 bytes to store all seven elements together: DD-Mon-CCYY HH:MI:SS. I repeat: only 7 bytes for ALL the elements together.

HTH
Steve Cosner Received on Mon Jun 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message