Re: Redo logs backup??

From: Aaron M. Renn <arenn_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/06/10

> lokp_at_tdbank.ca (Peggy Lok) wrote:
>
>I was reviewing our backup and recovery strategy the other day, and
>while going down the checklist I noticed that I didn't put in any
>plans to protect our redo logs. So... with a copy of the 'Oracle 7.2
>Admin Guide' besides me, I decided to do some testing in our TEST
>database and found out I couldn't recover (complete or incomplete) the
>database if there is a hardware problem and we lost ALL the redo logs.
>Even worst, what if other than the redo logs, it also took away some
>of the datafiles then how are we going to do a recovery from our
>online backups....
>
>Could anyone please let me know what I should do ( before a real hit
>to our redo logs ) ....

If you are using cold backups, then you should be able to restore without redo logs. If you are in hot backup mode, then you need to be running your database in archivelog mode and spooling the archive logs off to tape. Without archive logs, hot backups are useless. If you are restoring a hot backup and reach the end of the archive logs you have to restore, then do an (I think, I'm at home and don't have the manuals in front of me) "alter database open resetlogs" and all should be fine. You will need at least one archive log past the end of your hot backup.

arenn. Received on Mon Jun 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message